The Board will support the work of Open Hands Midway and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Open Hands Midway’s Executive Director, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
• Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as s/he develops and implements Open Hands Midway’s strategic plan
• Reviewing outcomes created by Open Hands Midway for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those outcomes; review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
• Approve Open Hands Midway’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; be informed of, and meet all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
• Contribute to an annual performance review of the Executive Director
• Assist the Executive Director/board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
• Partner with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that the board resolutions are carried out
• Serve on committees or task forces and take on special assignments
• Represent Open Hands Midway to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
• Ensure Open Hands Midway’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Open Hands Midway serves
Open Hands Midway Board Members will consider Open Hands Midway a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Open Hands Midway can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Open Hands Midway expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Open Hands Midway’s Board Members will serve a one, two or three-year terms and be eligible for re-appointment for up to five consecutive terms. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Open Hands Midway’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• A commitment to, and understanding of, Open Hands Midway’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
• Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Open Hands Midway’s beneficiaries
Service on Open Hands Midway’s Board of Directors is without remuneration.
Please contact Kay Kuehn, Executive Director, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org OR by phone at 651-646-6549 x4 if you have questions or interest in being a part of the Open Hands Midway Board of Directors.