Membership and Communications Manager
Who we are:
Friends of the Global Market (FOGM) is a non-profit and its mission is to support the Midtown Global Market (MGM) as a vital community resource that supports small business, cultural diversity, and no or low cost programming. The Midtown Global Market is a vibrant economic and cultural center where community gathers. We are home to over 37 plus businesses spanning over 22 cultures. The Market provides a global experience to our visitors with an extraordinary variety of tastes, arts and crafts as well as music and dance programs throughout the week. Over 1.5 million patrons visit Midtown Global Market each year.
The Midtown Global Market is co-owned by two local non-profits, the Neighborhood Development Center (NDC) and the Cultural Wellness Center (CWC), who work with the small, diverse business owners in the Market as they launch and grow their businesses. This position will be will be employed through NDC.
Members of Friends of the Global Market are customers, community members, neighbors, volunteers and other allies who will make small or large donations and otherwise bring energy, creativity, publicity and support for our vendors and mission.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Membership and Communications Manager will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for programs, events, communications and board governance to execute the mission of the Friends of the Global Market.
Membership Development and Fundraising
- Through energetic outreach, build and support an ever-expanding list of Members through outreach, activities, engagement and benefits
- Identify and expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support the Market
- Research potential donor and other funding opportunities
- Write grant and funding proposals
- Asist in updating internal tracking of successful grant programs Events and Customer experiences
- Develop and implement events to draw customers to the market and increase membership
- Develop evaluation and metric tools to capture impact of events
- Create a customer loyalty program
- Actively engage and energize board members, event committees, partnering organization and members.
- Organize and facilitate board and committee meetings as required including scheduling, providing financial reports, taking and recording minutes.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence, social media to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Partner with external marketing agency on projects and communications as needed.
- Partner with MGM, NDC and Cultural Wellness Center teams on special projects including but not limited to supporting joint events, connecting and reporting regularly with each entity
- Lead PR and communication projects and strategies in partnership with contracted PR Firm
- Review and approve contracts for services
- Strategic planning and implementation
Skills and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor/member relations skills and understanding of the funding community
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Confident public speaking ability
- Experience working with diverse communities, bi-lingual a plus
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy