Business & Marketing Projects Assistant
ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND STRUCTURE
Neighborhood Development Center (NDC) is a non-profit organization that offers training, lending and technical assistance to inner-city entrepreneurs in Saint Paul and Minneapolis. NDC's mission is to improve neighborhood economies by developing the talents of micro-entrepreneurs within their own communities. NDC has trained more than 6,000 people to date (80% of whom are people of color.) We currently have nearly 650 alumni in business. NDC places strong emphasis on accountability, adaptability and commitment to working closely with clients to help overcome obstacles and barriers. NDC’s work relies upon collaboration and strong personal relationships. These values drive our policies, programs and personnel. NDC is a small, friendly, busy office with a fast-paced work environment. Employees must be innovative, entrepreneurial and be willing to tackle a wide variety of tasks. Successful employees will have a passion for social justice and an eagerness to engage in the communities where we work. With the recent COVID-19 pandemic we are highly focused on our clients’ financial, operational and strategic needs to ensure they in the best position to operate their enterprises in the new normal of small business marketplace.
NDC's Business Lab provides in depth business services to NDC Alumni, Tenants, Loan Borrowers and business owners that operate within NDC's primary geographic neighborhoods. NDC's Business Lab team review all Business Service requests, approves whom receives services, and selects the service providers to deliver agreed-upon services. Business owners are considered clients, as the Business & Marketing Projects Assistant this position will establish and build client relationships, report and trust towards NDC’s scope of technical assistance services. Advise clients by identifying and communicating directly on realistic business strategies and appropriate marketing resources that improve their business operations and are cost effective (including the facilitation of professional 3rd party consulting services or vendors). The Business & Marketing Projects Assistant reports directly to the Deputy Director. Nature and Scope of Position
Task 1: Direct Service to Clients - Weight 75%
A. Work with clients one-on-one to assess, identify, problem solve and document the needs of the small business owner
B. Support and assist with general business technical assistance request and support with the implementation and delivery of services such as but not limited to; business concept review and recommendations, management and operation strategies, finding and researching business resources, etc.
C. Support and assist the Marketing/Branding Advisor with implementation and delivery of development and collateral projects requested by clients such as but not limited to; menus, brochures, flyers, basic webpages content, social media content, and other various online mediums or platforms needed for project completion.
D. Collaborate with the Loan, Training, Technical Assistance, and Real Estate teams to ensure that each client project meet timelines for delivery and completion of cross-department services to be provided
E. Utilize and update the Team’s online project management applications on a daily basis. Document all client work, NDC deliverables, and other documents within designated electronic filing systems
F. Communicate the status of each project weekly or more with Deputy Director
G. Work with NDC small business general and marketing 3 rd party consultants to ensure that the service engagement with consultants align with the clients' finances, budget and growth strategies
H. Outreach: Familiarity with our target neighborhoods; periodically reaching out to local small business resources and partnering agencies
I. Perform all other duties as assigned by Deputy Director
Task 2: Team Interaction - Weight 20%
The Client Manager/Business & Marketing Advisor attends the weekly Business Lab Team meetings. The staff member contributes to the team’s client work development, brainstorming, problem-solving and addresses other duties as requested.
Task 3: NDC Assignments - Weight 5%
The Client Manager/Business & Marketing Advisor attends the monthly NDC staff meetings. The staff member also assists the broader NDC organization with the marketing of trainings, programs, tools and events. Represent NDC and act as ambassador in community, with partners and at local or national events.
Bachelor's degree in business management or marketing.
- Employment experience in business management, marketing, graphic design, sales, retail, internet-based business, social media, etc.
- Experience working with culturally, linguistically, and economically diverse communities,
- One years of experience in small business lending and/or community development
- Previous experience as a business owner or at least one year of work or consulting experience
- Hands-on experience working in a creative/design environment
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to tactfully analyze and critique business activities, plans and financial statements
- Comfort making presentations to a small audience. Eagerness to take on extra tasks as necessary to accomplish organization's mission
- Experience and strong knowledge with Microsoft Office Products, Adobe Design Products, Project Management Software, Point of Sale systems, Understanding of Websites Builder Platforms, Social Media and Web based Tools and database software
- Experience providing website support utilizing content management systems a plus
- Fluency in either Spanish, Hmong, or Somali desired.
How to Apply: To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to HR@ndc-mn.org EOE/AA